If you understand Arabic you’ve probably already realized that Om Ali literally translates to ‘Ali’s Mother’. It is a classic Arabian dessert consisting of a creamy layer filled with nuts, raisins and dried fruits on a moist bread layer. This is one of those desserts that will have you packing your bags to move to any Arab country nearby. But guess what? How about you save yourself the hassle and bake this in 30 minutes.
- 500ml milk
- 150ml double cream
- ½ – ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 4 large croissants
- Your choice of nuts, raisins and/or dried fruit
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Break the croissant into small pieces and place it on a baking dish. Place in the oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes till it turns more golden and crunchy
- Bring the milk to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the sugar, cinnamon, double cream, vanilla extract and mix. Turn of heat after 2-3 minutes.
- Place the desiccated coconut, nuts, raisins and/or dried fruit on top of the croissant bits. Add the milk mixture into this.
- Cook in the oven for 10 minutes until the top is golden brown. Best served hot.